It’s Cristy Lee with Driveline Forensics.
Topic: Drive Axle Maintenance inspection Watch video for complete instructions.
- Vehicle on the ground, parking brake set, wheels chocked, release parking brake
- Look/correct leaks
- Check the lubrication levels
- Lubricant should be level with bottom of fill hole. If not, fluid is low
- Breather hose, connections, and u-tube should be in place and not leaking
Check the input shaft/drive pinion endplay:
- Put the dial indicator base on the power divider unit, with tip on the end of the input shaft
- Push and pull on yoke without rotating the shaft. Measurement should be less than 14/1000 of an inch.
Check wheel diff lock:
- Make sure vehicle is jacked up and on safety stands
- Wheel differential lock must be disengaged
- Rotate one tire and re-engage the wheel differential
- Turn the same tire. Its axle partner should rotate with it
Check inter-axle diff lock:
- Both tires on forward axle must be on the ground
- Raise the rear-drive axle to elevate one tire
- Rotate the tire in the air and engage the inter-axle diff lock
- The tire should stop spinning
- Disengage the inter-axle diff lock. Wheel should spin again